Domestic News Top News

Heavy rain floods Karachi once again

KARACHI, Sept 27 (WNP): It happened again. After all the hullaballoo and the promises and the sweeping statements and the politicking, Karachi submerged again. This time, there was ample warning too.

But as soon as the clouds started thundering and the heavens opened, Karachiites knew they were in big trouble. Some left for their destinations as soon as they could manage. Those who couldn’t were stuck in traffic jams for hours.

Cars broke down in the middle of the roads as the rainwater soon accumulated on major thoroughfares. The relatively more fortunate ones struggled to navigate their way as the standing water made it even more difficult to traverse the holey roads.

But even as the devastated citizens shook their heads and cursed their luck and looked to the sky for divine intervention to stop the divine blessing, they remembered the famous phrase recently coined by a political leader: “When it rains, water comes. When there is more rain, more water comes.”

Meanwhile, several areas in Surjani Town, Nagan Chowrangi and Nazimabad were submerged in waist-deep water, which even entered homes and shops.

Some of the worst traffic jams were witnessed at Nipa Chowrangi, Sharae Faisal, Natha Khan, Qayumabad Chowrangi and Rashid Minhas Road.

The situation was further exacerbated by the water accumulating in several underpasses across the city.

The latest spell

On Friday, the heaviest rainfall was recorded in Nazimabad at 57 millimetres.

The current spell of monsoon rains, which is the fourth spell, has been caused by the same low-pressure system that caused the heatwave in the port-city.

Moderate and heavy rains accompanied by thunderstorms continued for several hours in different areas of the city.

According to the Pakistan Meteorological Department, Saddar and Surjani Town received 45mm of rain, PAF Base Masroor received 32mm, North Karachi 27mm, Landhi 20mm, PAF Base Faisal 11mm and University Road and Old Airport 2 millimetres.

In all, approximately, 132 millimetres of rain has been recorded under the current monsoon system during the last four days.

Chief Meteorologist Sardar Sarfaraz said that the current rainfall under the monsoon system is quite out of the ordinary.

Previously, 130 millimetres of rainfall used to be recorded during the three-month long monsoon season starting from July 15.

On the contrary, this year, the rainfall has been recorded at 340 millimetres, which is 52% higher than usual.

He added that the effects of the monsoon system used to appear in the city till mid-September during the last few years, but this year, the monsoon rains are hitting the city even after the expected period. However, the current spell of rain is the last spell for Karachi and the lower parts of Sindh, including Thatta, Badin, Tharparar, Mirpurkhas and Nawabshah. The system can continue to cause rain till Saturday afternoon (today), after which the effects of the system will gradually dissipate.

According to the Met department, the highest temperature on Friday was recorded at 34 degrees Celsius, with 84% humidity level, whereas the lowest temperature was recorded at 25 degrees Celsius in the morning.

The weather on Saturday may remain hot and sultry, with light rain and drizzle expected in the afternoon.

Electrocution deaths

Meanwhile, at least two people were electrocuted to death near Jamia Binoria mosque on Friday.

According to SITE Area SHO Muhammad Saleem Awan, the deceased, identified as Abdul Manan and Abdul Wahab, were passing by the mosque on their respective motorcycles when a PMT wire snapped and fell on them, claiming their lives. Manan was a resident of Nazimabad no.1 and Rehman of Shoe Market, in Garden, he said.

On being informed of the incident, police and rescue teams reached the spot, though water standing up to several feet made it difficult for them to recover the bodies. The bodies were later shifted to Abbasi Shaheed Hospital for medico-legal formalities.

In a separate incident, Samia, 21, fainted after she accidentally stepped on fallen electric wires and received electric shocks in Boat Basin. She was rushed to Jinnah Postgraduate Medical Centre for treatment, and according to Boat Basin SHO Pir Bashir, her condition is out of danger. He said that Samia is a resident of Hijrat Colony.

According to Samia’s brother, she was returning home after grocery shopping and stepped over broken wires, while passing by an electric pole. She couldn’t see the wires as rainwater had flooded the road, he said.

Samia’s brother also confirmed that her condition is out of danger.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *